A Message From our District 10 Governor
Dear District 10 Zontians,
The cold days of Winter are definitely upon us! I imagine most of us are nestling into our homes in an effort to stay both dry and warm. As you find yourself nestling in, perhaps this would be a good time to get your Zonta Action list in order. Here are some activities and opportunities I would like you to keep in mind.
* Zonta International Convention. Registration for the Zonta International Convention is open and is easy to complete! The Convention website contains lots of useful information to include accommodations and activities. There have been additional nearby hotel lodging opportunities added, so please take time to check the Convention website regularly for updates.
* Zonta Rose Day and International Women’s Day Activities. I would like to encourage District 10 clubs to plan activities to celebrate RD/IWD on or around 8 Mar and consider making Period Poverty action a part of those activities. Therese Hartwell has updated the District 10 Period Poverty Toolkit and it can be found on our D10 website. Be sure to Share Your Story with Zonta International and on social media using #Zontad10Advocacy.
* Zonta Excellence in Service & Advocacy Awards. Submissions are due 29 February 2024 via Share Your Story. Six clubs and three districts will be recognized for their service and advocacy efforts. District 10 has submitted the district-wide effort to provide Beloved Bundles in local communities as a Zonta Says No to Violence Against Women activity during the 16 Days of Activism.
* Area Meetings. Look for Calls to Area Meetings to begin to be sent in the next few weeks. Area meetings remain an easy and inexpensive way to be exposed to Zonta activities and members beyond your local club. I hope you will make plans to attend!
o Area 3, 6 April 2024, hosted by the Zonta Club of West Hidalgo County
o Area 1, 20 April 2024, hosted by the Zonta Club of Fort Smith
o Area 2, 27 April 2024, hosted by the Zonta Club of Shreveport
* Educational Awards. Please help market Zonta Educational Award opportunities.
o District 10 Sara Metcalf Award: Applications due 1 April (Z/Golden Z Award)
o District 10 Rose Award: Applications due 1 April (can apply to club or directly to District 10)
o ZI Young Women in Public Affairs Award: 1 April (clubs forward their awardee)
* SIGN-4-ERA Petition. I would like to encourage all our members to sign the petition calling on Congress to recognize that the Equal Rights Amendment has already been ratified by the necessary 38 states. The goal is 1M signatures, so please also share this opportunity with others.
* Safe Hand Signal for Help Workshop. Please join D10 Advocacy Chair, Therese Hartwell as she conducts this workshop via Zoom (invite) on 13 Apr 2024 from 10AM to 11AM.
I continue to be impressed by the strong activities of our District 10 clubs driven by committed members. Thank you for all you do to Build a Better World for Women and Girls!
Governor, District 10